The year is 1917. An elegantly dressed man in a dark suit with a vest and a carefully knotted tie taps a stick to the beat of his gait. He is returning from his regular wandering in the countryside, where to the sound of birds he sits on the benches and constantly makes notes in his notebook. The locals know him, he greets a doctor and a hotel operator and disappears into house number 244. Actually, he just got the inspiration for the next series of songs.
Yes, that man is the world-renowned composer Leoš Janáček who took a fancy to Luhačovice at the end of the 19th century, and from 1903, used to come here regularly.
© Milan Jaroš
This time - as many times before - he chose the villa Vlastimila as his residence. The villa, which gave impetus to the construction of the so-called Prague district, was built in 1903 by the Slovak architect Dušan Jurkovič. The wonderful local scenery and distinctive population were his inspiration to create a distinctive architectural style - folk art nouveau. At the beginning of the 20th century, along with the visionary and founder of a new spa company František Veselý, he wanted to create a unique therapeutic and recreational complex, whose fame would go well beyond the country's borders. Together they wanted to create a spa that with its Slavic spirit and form, would grow from the roots of home.
Come uncover the magic of the place that inspired the greats, and in which time flows a little more slowly.
The most intriguing Jurkovič construction was a now non-existent dairy, following the tradition of the cowshed, which stood in the center of the spa. Since it was medically advised to combine sipping mineral water with milk, the most beautiful cows from the count’s breeds were led to the cowshed in summer. At around 6 pm they drank fresh milk, at four in the afternoon curdled milk and in the morning "Žinčica" (a traditional drink made from sheep's milk) mixed with mineral water.